How to use a tripod
Well, a good photography or videography mostly depends on how the photo was taken. We use camera in different ways to take a photo or video. A tripod is a camera holder which is used to take photos without any shaking of the camera. Sometimes we need to take pictures in standby mode. A simple shaking of camera can harm the picture quality. To avoid this kind of situations a tripod is being used rapidly all over the world.
Using of a tripod can be divided in three segments. They are placing the tripod, setting the camera and taking the picture. Let’s talk about the process of these segments thoroughly.
Part 1 – Placing the tripod
- Location is the first thing to think of when you intend to use a tripod. You have to consider the surface where you are setting your tripod. Also you have to set the tripod according to the direction of taking photo. Also the tripod must remain parallel with the ground surface.
- Put one of the legs of the tripod in the direction which the camera will face. By doing so you will get enough space between the other two legs of the tripod for taking pictures smoothly.
- Stretch the legs of the tripod according to your need. You have to extend the legs for stretching these legs. By doing so the leg will be extended from thicker to thinner segments. You have to do this for all three legs of your tripod.
- Sometimes your tripod needs some extra support for standing with a stable stance. For this you can hung your backpack with the center of your tripod. Make sure that the center of the tripod is perpendicular with the ground and the base plate where the camera will be placed is parallel with the ground simultaneously.
- Try to ignore the center post for adjusting the tripod. The three legs are capable enough to make the tripod stable for taking picture at any position. Use the center post only when you have no choice left. Some minor adjustments can be done via this center post. Like when you need more height in the limit of one or two inches.
Part 2 – Adjusting the camera:
- To adjust the camera with the tripod you have to remove the camera base plate at first from your tripod. A tripod base plate contains a surface which screws the camera with the tripod instantly. It gives a stable adjustment and quickly remove feature. There is also a quick remove latch for which you can adjust or remove the camera easily from the tripod.
- After removing the base plate from the tripod you have to adjust the base plate with the camera. Rotate the base plate clockwise with the camera until the camera is tightly adjusted with the base plate. If you want to save your time, you can adjust the base plate with your camera before going for a photo shoot.
- Now you have to place the camera in the tripod. After placing the spotting scope with the tripod you can use it. Some tripods adjust the camera automatically. So listen carefully the click sound to become sure about the adjustment.
- Secure the release latch if your tripod has a release bar. You have to lock it back into place to secure the release bar. Before using the camera check again if your camera is perfectly adjusted with the tripod. Otherwise the camera will fall from the tripod if a poor adjustment is done.
- There is a knob just below the camera base plate for adjusting the camera angle. You have to loosen the knob for adjusting the angle. Once you have settled your camera with the desired angle, now you are ready to take shoots by your camera.
Part 3 – Taking pictures
- There are some vital settings you need to adjust in your camera when you are going to use a tripod. At first turn on image stabilization. Because the camera will not move when it is on a tripod. Then turn on mirror up. This will help you to stabilize your image by locking the mirror prior. Also turn off auto ISO. You should take photos from the base ISO. By doing this you can reduce the noise amount. Thus you can get a dynamic quality photo.
- You can set a timer for your snap if you want to make the camera to take stable pictures. You can set a 2 second delay timer to get better quality picture.
- Also you can use a remote shutter to take pictures of yourself or something else by not clicking the shutter button of the camera. Instead of pressing the camera shutter button you can use a portable remote shutter which can click the shutter without remaining close to camera. Thus you can also take pictures of yourself with your camera.
How to understand if I need a tripod
We can use a tripod when our camera shutter speed is too slow. It happens for the focal length of the camera lens. Also we can use a tripod if we intend to enlarge a photo from its actual size. Sometimes we want to take pictures of higher pixels and resolutions. In this case a tripod can make slower your shutter speed by using a lower ISO level. Thus you will get a higher resolution image. Also there are some specific types of techniques of capturing pictures which can be easily taken by using a tripod. But also there are some cons of using a tripod. You should not use a tripod in a crowded place. It will be obstacle for other peoples.
Tripod is a very useful element of photography. Stable pictures are desire of every photographer. Without a tripod it will take more time to take a perfect picture. This is because our hand and body is not stable. Slightly movement of our body can make a good picture to worse capture. That’s why tripod is a must for all photographers.